What is a Ransomware attack?
It is a type of malware in which victim’s files or data are encrypted. If the victim wants his data back, he needs to give the ransom asked by the hackers.
It is capable of disrupting a company’s normal functioning. Small and medium-sized organizations are at high risk. The attackers can target both individuals and higher to medium-sized companies.
Let’s have a look in-depth:
- Screen lockers- they lock the user’s computer completely. On opening, the computer user will see an official government seal.
- Encrypting ransomware- known as data kidnapping. The Attacker encrypts the data and asks for money to get access to locked files.
- Master boot record (MBR) ransomware- hard drive gets encrypted that enables access to the operating system.
- Mobile ransomware- it targets mobile phones. Here instead of computer mobile is used to steal data and ask for ransom.
Even after paying money, there is no guarantee that you will be able to access locked files
How Ransomware attack is done
There are many ways to do a successful ransomware attack.
- One of the common ways is by Phishing mails.
- Another way is through malware media and USB drives.
- Through the corporate network, it reaches machine to machine.
- Computers, laptops, and servers are affected.
- Can reach storage media.
- Files do not remain accessible, are encrypted.
A company might lose its customers and can come to a state of standstill. The Loss of reputation is obvious after the attack. The attack will have negative effects for a long time.
Prevention plans for a ransomware attack
Prevention is the most effective way to stay away from ransomware attacks.
- Do not click on unverified issues
Think before you click on unfamiliar websites.
- Make sure the mail you are opening is trusted
Ensure you are opening that mail only whose e-mail address is confirmed. E-mails are one of the easiest ways to encrypt your data.
- Download only from trusted websites
Check whether ‘https’ is there or not. Do not use unknown websites for downloading media.
- Do not share your data
You might get a call or text asking you to share data and personal information. Do not respond to them.
- Keep updating your software and operating system
Updating will protect you from malware.
- Ensure usage of security software
Security software protects your device from getting encrypted.
- Have a backup of your data
To ensure you do not lose data, have a backup of it.
It is advisable not to fulfill ransom as this encourages ransomware attacks more. After paying ransom companies might lose what they have earned.
- Organizations should Keep updating their systems.
- Should have complex passwords for login.
The above-mentioned points can help you a lot to minimize the threat.
Response to ransomware attacks
It is very important to know how to respond to a ransomware attack.
- As soon as you come to know that your device has been attacked, disconnect the internet connection. It isolates your computer.
- Do not think of paying the ransom. Nor try to negotiate with hackers.
- Contact the police and follow what they say as they are trained.
- Make a call to your cybersecurity company.
History of ransomware attacks in India
Ransomware attacks in India have flourished since 2015. From then victims are from technology to banking and many more.
Cities that have been targeted a lot are Mumbai, Bangalore, and Hyderabad. Maharashtra’s Revenue and public works department’s computers faced such an attack in 2016.
In the west:
AIDS Trojan horse virus in 1989. It was created by a biologist at Harvard.
In 2018, the SamSam ransomware virus attacked the city of Atlanta. The City of Pensacola in 2019 was the victim.
One of the Famous high-profile attacks was WannaCry. A lot of western countries were affected by this.
Removal of a ransomware attack:
- The Immediate step is to discontinue the internet connection.
- Use security software to detect threats and risky files.
- You need to decrypt the data. For that, you need to have a ransomware descriptor.
- You need to restore your files from backup. Without backup, it will be very tough for you to recover them.
Ransomware attacks are one of the growing cyber attacks nowadays. Individuals and companies need to be vigilant to prevent it.
Hence, you should always make sure whether your devices are secured or not.
In a nutshell, it is better to keep yourself updated with such kinds of attacks and stay away from loss caused by it. For more Blog ideas, you can visit simply my blog site: Teqhow